There is one thing that we can all agree on:
We all want to stay healthy. This is probably everyone’s goal. Some of us are already doing something to reach this goal while most of us only wish we would be healthy but do nothing about. Maybe finding time for the gym is the problem or rather motivation to work out is the issue. But would you be surprised if I told you there is an easier way? Well, Juicing a could just be your break through formula.
To help you along this journey, I created this website as a resource for all your juicing needs. We offer juicing recipes, offer guidance on the best juicers to buy and a lot of information on how to stay healthy. Lets start by looking at benefits of juicing.
What is juicing?
Juicing is referred to as the extraction of plant tissue juices from vegetables and fruits. Juicing can be done manually by squeezing juice using hands or by use of juicing equipment (juicers). Compared to buying juice from stores, juicing is more preferred as it leads to production of fresh juice. One is advised to consume the juice the same day it is juiced to avoid loss of nutrients via the oxidation process as more time passes by.
Difference between juicing and blending
Most people will use one term for the other but the truth is they are different. When you blend, all the content of the ingredients are left in the smoothie, pulp included. However, in juicing, the pulp is separated from the juice as the juice is collected externally.
One may wonder what would be the use of juicing while I can just blend and consume everything. Well, the stomach sometimes needs a break from so many processes. Upon consuming juices from juicers, they are easily absorbed into the digestive system as they are pulp-free. Moreover, the body is availed with more nutrients than when blended fruits and veggies are consumed. However, it is important to note that both processes are vital for the body and one should not choose one over the other.
Briefly, let us also see what blending entails. Juices from vegetables and fruits that are blended contain all the ingredients from the initial components. The only difference is that the fiber is broken down (without losing any nutritional value). This makes absorption into the digestive system easier, though not as in the case of juicing. The fiber in your smoothie/ shakes slows the digestive process thus you will remain full for a longer time. In short you sought of “ate” the smoothie that you drunk.
Mistakes associated with juicing
As earlier mentioned, drink your juice as soon as you are done juicing. This ensures you get more nutrients than if you store it for later. Also, make a habit of drinking your juice on an empty stomach, like 30 minutes before meals. This allows for absorption of vitamins and enzymes into your body.
Your body needs different kinds of nutrients and vitamins. To achieve this, do not use the same ingredients all the time. The beauty of juicing is how much mixing and matching of fruits and vegetables you can do. Do not be afraid of trying different varieties. The result may surprise you!
Remember digestion starts in the mouth. Do not be in a hurry to finish your juice. “Chew” it or swish it around your mouth to encourage the enzymes present in the mouth and responsible for digestion to begin the process.
Do not juice just fruits
You do not need too much sugars. Make sure there are also veggies to flavor your juice. However, do not put too many leafy green because you might choose not to finish your juice.
Cleanliness is key
You are working on your body’s health and what use would all this effort be if the ingredients used are not well cleaned? This may lead to some illnesses. Also, remember to clean your juicer after juicing to prevent harmful bacteria from growing.
Never use juices in place of meals
Juicing is a way of supplementing the nutrients you may have missed in your ordinary meals. Also, do not forgo juicing. It is an essential part of your health.
Benefits associated with juicing
- Detoxing– juicing gives a product very rich in vitamins, antioxidants and enzymes that are a perfect mix for detoxifying your body. When toxins accumulate in and around the body, the immune system itself gets overwhelmed and general fatigue may set in.
- Improves sleeping habits. After a long and tiring day the body needs a rest and good sleep . Juice obtained from leafy vegetables has high content of magnesium, an element that improves sleeping pattern.
- Improves quality of life– with improved sleeping, more nutrients, managed weight, good immunity and even detoxified body, what else could make your health better? There is general improvement of life starting from the bills evaded in hospitals to the self-esteem of a well maintained body.
- Helps you eat fruits and veggies you could not imagine. I am not a fan of beetroots and spinach believe you me. But juicing has made me comfortably ingest these. There are endless fruits and vegetables very essential for our health that go unused because nobody wants to chew them. Upon juicing, these become easier to consume as they are all in one glass.
- Nutrients easily absorbed– as earlier mentioned, the juice obtained from juicing is pulp free thus the digestive process is not slowed down. As a result, the nutrients are easily and quickly absorbed into the blood stream.
- Dehydration– juicing provides you with water that is rich in nutrients. What better way of hydrating your body?
- Weight management– as you continue to detox, the body is in a better position to start having light exercises. Juicing also helps in the absorption of solid foods better thus better digestion. Most of the food will be absorbed and helpful other that just stored as fats in the body. Juicing also helps prevent hunger pains. In return, if you are juice fasting, when taking these juices from fruits and vegetables, your body is still enriched. You will not feel as hungry and thus avoid bad eating habits such as lump sum sugar filled meals intake.
- Healthy even for diabetics– to control the amount of sugar in your juice, vary the amount of leafy vegetables for a nutritious yet healthy juice.
As seen, juicing has many benefits, all revolving around good nutrition. You will be tempted to try it upon knowing what you have been missing.
Demerits of juicing
- Fiber is lost during juicing, which is necessary for a balanced diet. However, remember juicing should not replace normal meals.
- Juice continues to lose nutritional value with time and exposure to air.
- Juicing is a learning process. You need to do it repeatedly before you can get used to the juices.
- A quality juicer may cost a fortune
I believe nothing is a mountain for a willing self. Anything for a healthy you. Right? Try juicing and experience the benefits.